Responsible for making a wide range of breads, pastries, and other baked goods. Additionally responsible for providing baking creativity by generating new or original recipes.
Summary of Essential Job Functions:
- Check production schedule to determine variety and quantity of goods to bake.
- Measure and mix ingredients to form dough or batter, following recipes.
- Roll, cut, and shape dough to form rolls, pie crusts, tarts, cookies, and related products.
- Cut, peel, and prepare fruit for pie fillings.
- Place dough in pans, molds, or on sheets and bake in oven. Observe products while cooking and adjust controls.
- Mix icings and other toppings and decorate cakes, pastries, and other baked goods.
- Use a variety of kitchen tools, including electric mixers, pans, rolling pins, and cutting tools.
- May develop new recipes.
- Monitor baking process to identify needed adjustments.
- Get information from production schedules and recipes.
- Handle and move ingredients, tools, and cooking pans.
- Control mixing processes and oven controls.
- Implement products by following recipes or creating new ones.
This position requires a 4 or 5 years baking experience. Bakers are also often required to work alone; for this reason, the ability to be self-motivated is a huge advantage for aspiring bakers. A sound knowledge of hygiene and safety standards in the kitchen, and the discipline to enforce those standards is a must.
This position requires the ability to stand, and, walk, 7 to 8 hours at a time, climb stairs, reach, bend, taste, see, hear, smell and feel or touch. The position also requires that the baker be able to read recipes and apply basic baking concepts. The position may also require the ability to lift over 50 pounds occasionally.
This job is performed primarily indoors with exposure to heat, cold, and loud noises. Hygenic and protective safety clothing may occasionally be required including shoes, gloves and hairnets. Activities include extended periods of standing.